Sunday, January 30, 2011

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus


Daniela Elliott
Blog #2
Everyone blog
(Introduction and Chapter 1, pages 1-42)

When I had the opportunity to choose which book I wanted to read for the literature circle there was no question in my mind that “Boys & Girls Learn Differently” was the book for me.  Although there is much to know and understand when it comes to teaching children of all ages, I’ve always felt that one of the biggest and most obvious challenges that I’d face in teaching was the differences I’d face between teaching girls and boys.  I felt this way because going through adolescence, the drama of high school and uncertainty of college, the one question that always reigned in my mind was something along the lines of: “why are boys like that?!”

Along with other behavioral, mental, social and additional challenges that children bring to the classroom, resolving these issues might require a scientific approach.  As stated in the book by Robert Sylwester:
Our brain has always defined the education profession, yet educators haven’t really understood it or paid much attention to it….Our brain is at the edge of understanding itself!
This quote states what I believe a lot of educators have considered but never reacted upon.  Educators need to take a step back and take a scientific approach to understanding children and understanding should start at the “hub” of our bodies, the brain.

After reading only the first chapter, the concept “Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus” is not such a strange concept any more.  The long list of developmental, structural, chemical, hormonal, functional differences between a male and female brain is immense; but, now I can put an answer and reason to some of the typical questions that come to mind when wondering why girls or boys act the way they do.  What I am eager to gain from this book is how to apply the information to help me become a better educator because so far, it seems like a long list of facts and nothing more.

2 comments:

  1. By Suzanne C.
    Blog#2- Response to Daniela's Everyone Blog

    I was also attracted to the topic of this book right away as I have always wondered why throughout my learning and teaching experiences there have always been differences between boys and girls. As first, I just explained them by genetics and environment.
    Your quote from Sylvester describes me as a person and educator. While I always knew there was a difference in male and female learning I never really connected it to the brain and when I did, I did nothing to accommodate these differences. As you do, I look forward to reading more and learning techniques to teach to these differences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Daniela about choosing a book for literature circle, I knew this one was going to be the most interesting for me, and I do truly enjoy reading it.

    I also agree with how educators should be acting. I like how you stated: "Educators need to take a step back and take a scientific approach to understanding children and understanding should start at the 'hub' of our bodies, the brain. " I firmly believe this is the correct way to teach and more teachers need to take action in doing this rather than just teaching to teach.

    -Ali Getsloff

    ReplyDelete