Sunday, January 23, 2011

The way I am...

Blog #1

Alison Getsloff

I believe my personality reflects my learning style. I have always been a very outgoing person who enjoys being surrounded by others. After taking the multiple intelligence survey and seeing that my top 3 intelligence types are: interpersonal, bodily/kinesthetic, and visual/spatial, I see how these strengths reflect who I am as a person, and how I see the world. 

That being said, growing up, I did not live in a diverse society- but who defines diversity? Aren't we all different? Weren't we all brought up differently? My experiences growing up consisted of mostly monocultural activities or ways of living. Now, at 25, I live in a wholly multicultural area of town and I am immersed in other ways of life. Because of my personality and learning styles, I feel I can get along with everyone, and don't judge others. I accept everyone for who they are no matter where they come from, and feel that just because I grew up in a monocultural way of life doesn't shape who I have become as a person, or my views on other ways of life. In fact, growing up the way I did, makes me want to learn even more about other cultures and their ways of living.

2 comments:

  1. In response to Alison, I agree that the fact that we have grown up in monocultural societies should not be looked down upon for as we grow we have opened ourselves up to more multicultural experiences.
    That being said, now being in my thirties, you can't judge how multicultural I am by my friends. Most of my friends are Caucasian females like me. I have worked with children of other races and cultures, however I would not say that I am now an expert in their culture especially because I have found each one of them and their families to be considerably different.
    Therefore, I think being multicultural doesn't necessarily mean experiencing and knowing every culture, but instead being open and accepting to everyone we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to the intelligence survey and results, I think it’s natural to take the results to heart and figure out how or why they apply to us, if they do at all. I’m not sure whether or not the types of intelligence I scored the highest in truly reflected who I am or not because I’m not one to believe that such questions can define who we are.
    Just like Alison, I also feel that growing up my life was completely different than it is now, that I’m more surrounded with diversity; but, in contrast, I don’t feel quite as immersed in it. Great advice that anyone can take away from Alison’s blog is that the way you grew up does not have to shape the person you want to become or your views on life and I agree with this wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete