Monday, February 7, 2011

Creative Connector

Alison Getsloff
Blog #3
Pages- 43-87
"Creative Connector"

The first passage I chose to relate to, made me think back to my elementary days.

In chapter two, on page 47 it states:
"Girls do not generally need to move around as much while learning. Movement seems to help boys not only stimulate their brains but also manage and relieve impulsive behavior. Movement is also natural to boys in a closed space, possibly a result of their higher levels of spinal fluid moving between the brain and the body and higher metabolism, which creates fidgeting behavior."

This passage made me think of myself sitting in a classroom and I, as a girl, seemed to sit still as I was told. But as I thought back, it made me think of all the times I thought to myself "why are boys so fidgety all the time"? They always seem to be tapping something, or moving their legs or whatnot. Obviously at age 8, I did not realize that stimulation helps their brains and it is also just natural for them.

The second passage I chose to relate to is in chapter two on page 58, it states:
"Girls tend to choose interactive social activities that allow increased verbalization; boys tend to choose interactive social activities that decrease verbals and increase spatials, as well as physical aggression."

This passage made me think about my years in high school when I was involved in every activity possible and how there were very few males involved in any of them. I was in everything from school yearbook, to prom committee. What boy honestly wants to help with the layout of the year book or helping pick out the prom song? It obviously wasn't "cool" for them and it probably would have been boring for them anyways. My girlfriends and I loved it! I see now how boys need to be always stimulated and somewhat active because of the way their brains work. Prom committee just isn't for them.

The last passage I chose to relate to is in chapter three and on pages 76-77, it states:
"Young children learn best when they learn from someone with whom they are intimately attached. If a child, for instance, is securely attached to an important personal caregiver-his mother, father, grandparent, or teacher- he learns more, not only from that individual but in his total learning competency."

As a full-time nanny for the past two years, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. I watched a two year old boy, who at the time of me starting at his house, did not speak. His parents did not make/or have time for him and always give him a pacifier when he was upset or was loud. They never gave him the chance to learn to speak. I made time for him. I gave him attention. I gave him love. We instantly became attached and he wanted to learn-not only to speak, but numbers, colors and anything that I would teach him. He thrived off of my attention and love, and I loved teaching him.

No comments:

Post a Comment