Sunday, March 6, 2011

So many issues, So little time

Daniela Elliott
Blog #6, pages 167- 215
Creative Connector


1. "Teasing. Teasing is a normal activity among peers, in which children focus on a real or perceived weakness in another or others." (pg 175)
Teasing, harassment and bullying have become a central topic for many education discussions because of how much violence has been brought about due to these actions.  This simple definition means so much because it’s something I’ve done and still do. When I take the time to think about myself and whether or not I tease people, I can’t deny this fact. Strangely enough, while in school, I don’t think I did all that much because I was such a quiet, shy young girl.  Now that I’m older, more mature, and eager to be a teacher it’s hard to believe that with all I know, I can still tease people without realizing that I’m doing it and realizing how hurtful it can be.
 2. "The average American youth spends 900 hours in school each year. That same average American youth watches 1,500 hours of television." (pg 179)
This statistic was scary to think about not so much because it was hard to believe that children watch so much TV; on the contrary, I wasn’t really surprised to read that part.  Rather, I was surprised how much little time is spent in school. I would never have said this when I was in school, I don’t think, but this just makes me stop and think about the idea of having children go to school year-round.  As much as I never liked having to go to school and do school work as I grew up, I did like getting to see my friends every day and I did like the athletic activities. So, was it really that bad? No, probably not, and I think many children wouldn’t mind.
 
3. “I have found not only those hands-on activities make abstract concepts much more clear, especially in math, but also that team activity helps a lot.” (pg 189)
As a soccer coach, I learned the hard way what my players did and didn’t want to do at practice. When I think about this quote and my players I remember how much they loved being in teams during practice and competing against each other. No matter what drill it was, as long as it became a team drill and they got to work together and without any direction from me they level of intensity, the excitement and the passion was all increased.

No comments:

Post a Comment